When knitting top-down, seamless sweaters, there comes a point when you need to take your sleeve stitches off onto a holder. Safety-pin type stitch holders don’t work for this. Scrap yarn works, but tends to slip up into the stitches, making the job of getting each stitch back onto a needle laborious.
This leather cord stitch holder kit by Cocoknits has the flexibility of yarn, but is firm enough to keep stitches from disappearing into themselves. The interior-threaded needle means you can knit onto and off of the cord - like a leather circular needle. The needles screw onto, and off of, the leather cord.
- Needles made of nickel plated steel
- Long cord holds stitches of sweater body - 59"/150cm
- Short cords hold stitches of sleeves - 29.5"/75cm
- Two interior-threaded needles
- Three lengths of leather cord (one long, two short)
How to Use:
- Use the Stitch Holder Kit in lieu of scrap yarn whenever you need to hold live stitches. The threaded needles allow you to knit off of your leather cord.
- Keep the contents of your kit in the reusable kraft drawer, lined with 100% wool felt
- Snipping the end of your leather cord at an angle will facilitate attaching the needle
- Leather has a grain, so be sure to "go with the grain" when sliding stitches on and off of the cord
- Leather can get dry and needs moisturizing. Cocoknits suggests treating the cord with a thread conditioner to keep your cords smooth and limber
- Screw the needle on only until it is attached to the cord. If you continue to over-screw, you risk breaking the leather inside of the needle
Manufacturing: Cocoknits carefully considers the environmental impact and sustainability with every product designed and packaged. Their products are ethically sourced from China, the US, and Morocco. Cocoknits packaging is reusable and recyclable, and many of the products themselves are recycled. All Cocoknits products are thoughtful and transparent about where they are sourced and manufactured. Although they don't profess perfection, they promise to bring you fun new tools in as sustainable a manner as possible